Handling Plastic Recycled Materials
Feeding, conveying and dust collection
Schenck Process has a long history of servicing and supporting companies in plastics and recycling industries. Recycling has quickly grown into a huge initiative for reducing waste going to the landfill and lowering the carbon footprint from producing virgin plastics.
The Schenck Process solution begins after initial separation of usable plastics from reject materials has taken place. Our systems can take the recyclable materials from grinding and classifying the plastics into the desired size all the way to the extrusion process and beyond.
With a full line of pneumatic transfer technologies Schenck Process can transfer the recycled plastics and other major and minor materials to the extruder. Utilizing our MechaTron® gravimetric feeding capabilities or Simplex Feeder which is designed for light, fluffy materials such as flakes, fibers, organic or inorganic, virgin or recycled materials, the options for feeding hard to handle materials to an extruder are endless. Once pelletizing is complete Schenck Process can pneumatically transfer the pellets to storage, packaging or bulk loadout stations. A full line of dust collection equipment is available for keeping your plant safe from harmful airborne materials
Pneumatic conveying technologies
Pneumatic conveying has fewer moving parts and greater flexibility for plants with changing needs. Enclosed pipelines protect the material from contamination and virtually eliminate degradation of the product into smaller particles that can present a dust hazard. Pneumatic conveying also integrates filtration while delivering materials to their destination.
Dilute phase pneumatic conveying systems operate on the principle that the solids will be suspended in the conveying line air stream. This is accomplished by metering product into a moving air stream.Benefits of dilute phase pneumatic conveying:
- Totally enclosed system
- Smaller footprint
- Significantly minimized degradation
- Few moving parts
- Reduced installation costs
- Lower maintenance costs
Dense phase pneumatic conveying systems operate at smaller air volumes and higher air pressures. Materials are pulsed through the convey lines and are ideal systems for handling easily damaged or porous products.Benefits of dense phase pneumatic conveying:
- Improves sanitary conditions and housekeeping
- Minimal product breakage
- Allows for greater system flexibility
- Reduces plant footprint
- Low horsepower requirement
The SIMPLEX FB is a high capacity, stainless steel, loss-in-weight feeder platform for light, fluffy materials like plastic flakes, glass, carbon fibers, and other virgin or recycled materials. It is mainly used in plastic film extrusion and compounding applications.
- Robust center rod helixes with end bearing and a packed seal arrangement for heavy duty applications
- Modular concept with many shared and alternative components to support feed rate changes
- Double flanged, vertical discharge tube to protect flexible connection from wear (tube in tube concept)
- Discharge on left or right side
- Internal agitator designed to promote mass flow of hard to handle materials while maintaining consistent feed rates
It is important that plastics recycling facilities employ dust collection systems that are uniquely designed according to plant specifications and also have the benefits of:
- Limiting emissions
- Being specifically designed for ease of maintenance
- Accounting for critical moisture concerns in the environment
- Including cleanout or inspection opening in ductwork